Have you ever considered migrating your proprietary database to an Open-Source database? PostgreSQL is a powerful and versatile database management system. It has become a more than worthy replacement for many databases. In this blog, we will show you why and how you should migrate to PostgreSQL.
We will first look at some of the main reasons for choosing to migrate to PostgreSQL:
- PostgreSQL is Open Source, which makes it highly customizable, with extensions and add-ons.
- PostgreSQL is free to install and to use with several nice features like partitioning, high availability, …
- Behind PostgreSQL is a large community full of experts that offer free support.
- It is easy to start with PostgreSQL. There is a lot of official documentation available. If you can’t find what you are looking for, you can always count on us or on the support of the community.
- PostgreSQL not only has PL/pgSQL as a built-in programming language, but via extensions additional procedural languages are available.
Are you convinced that PostgreSQL might be a good solution for you, and do you want to migrate your database? Moving a working database can be a daunting task. You must move all database objects like functionalities, code and data from one platform to another, without any loss. Luckily, there are tools that can help you migrate your database safely to PostgreSQL:
- Ora2PG is a free tool to use to migrate Oracle and MySQL databases to PostgreSQL.
- Cortex from splendid data is a paid tool that helps with effortless migration from Oracle Databases to PostgreSQL.
- EDB offers via their Migration portal and Migration toolkit a powerful set of paid tools that help with migrating database objects and data to a PostgreSQL database.
- Other mechanisms, like foreign data wrappers, can also help for data migration.
Now you know a few tools that can help you with the migration of your database. But remember, it is a difficult job and you have to make sure you migrate all of your database correctly. The tools mentioned above can help guide you, but they only create an outline around the actual code migration. There are no tools that are anywhere close to complete coding replacements. So, it does require some expertise to successfully migrate your database.
Do you want to make sure your database is migrated safely and correctly? We can help you with that! We can guide you through the entire migration process or take it off your hands.
First, we start with an assessment. We do a thorough analysis to evaluate the compatibility of the client, the application server, the data access, and database features. After the assessment, we move on to the schema migration and test these converted schemas on sample data. We will do functional testing on the converted objects with DMLs.
Before migrating the data, we run performance tests. It is a must because some of the built-in transactions or features might be slightly different in PostgreSQL and applications might see some difference. In this phase, we can capture all those differences and fix them on the application, data access (drivers), and database level with proper tuning. Finally, we will migrate the data.
By following this process, we can guarantee that your data and infrastructure is safely migrated. Do you want to make sure your database is migrated smoothly? Contact us!